Post Study Work Permit in Australia

One of the main reasons Australia is very popular among international students is because of its post study options. Whether you’re looking to gain a couple of years’ worth of job experience before returning to your home country or staying back permanently, Australia is just the place for it.

Being an international student you’re granted entry into the country on a student visa. This visa comes with a definite limit of only allowing you to complete your studies. Once your academic course or vocational training is over, this visa expires almost immediately. Students who want to stay on are required to apply for either a Post Study Work Permit or a Skilled Graduate Visa under Subclass 485. The difference between the two lies, essentially, in the type of qualification an international student has attained. Skilled Graduate Visa which is granted for 18 months is catered to students who complete a vocational education and training qualification, while the Post Study Work Permit can last from 2 to 4 years and is given to students who have completed either a bachelor’s, master’s or doctoral degree from an Australian university.

The conditions required for an international student to apply for a post study work permit:

  • Must be applied for within 6 months from the time of study completion
  • A minimum of 16 month stay and study in Australia
  • Completion of a course that amounts to a minimum of 92 weeks’ worth of study
  • The course completed must be registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS)
  • You must be over 18 years of age and under 50 years
  • Must have an eligible visa and health insurance in Australia.